From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] New Server, considering hardened, need pointers to tfm...
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 18:40:55
1 On Mon, 12 Dec 2011 18:38:28 +0100
2 Javier Juan Martínez Cabezón wrote:
3
4 > Now please tell me how under this circunstances could root to make nothing.
5
6 What are you asking?
7
8 The heart of the OS is the kernel. The OpenBSD kernel is more secure
9 and always will be full stop because that is their main aim. Think about
10 the exploits in the Linux kernel for all those years whilst they were
11 present someone could have been exploiting them and still untill the
12 next one is added and/or found, one of them can likely bypass RBAC.
13 Restrictions upon root on OpenBSD have been shown to be bypassable
14 locally on Pentium >2s via cpu management mode by a root user, it's
15 still difficult. Therefore I try to use certain hardware and will still
16 use chflags sappnd etc..
17
18 Your example about execution can be controlled via file permissions, if
19 someone allows arbitrary running as root, RBAC or not that is dumb.
20 Your daemons should be chrooted as normal users so for servers rbac
21 means very little to me but I would use it if I ran Linux servers and
22 am planning to use it on my Linux desktops and OpenBSD would likely code
23 it if they had many more developers and got lots of the other stuff they
24 want done and couldn't find any more bugs. They certainly wouldn't
25 refuse a working and well written patch. For desktops or more
26 exploitable systems rbac gains some weight, so does systrace but all
27 these tools are good things (don't mention the races in systrace
28 because I'm not interested and it's still useful) and RAWIO is off by
29 default on OpenBSD.
30
31 Perl can only execute binaries on the system that are there and some
32 will on a large install contain local exploits or bugs which can be
33 reduced and fixed but not those introduced by users which could be far
34 more easily exploited and you can't even hope to prevent that. If you
35 can exploit the system through perl then that is a perl bug. If perl
36 scripts are a problem chmod it 750 and/or systrace it or rbac it. Next
37 you'll be telling me about physical security and bios batteries, well
38 physical security can exist and lets stop now as it is all irrelevent
39 and I'm sure everyone here is bored to death of the OpenBSD vs RBAC or
40 PAX topic.
41
42 All of this comes down to more is better and noexec mounts are one of
43 those blanket tools possibly with effective grsec logging. Exec logging
44 is usually too much to handle.
45
46 Also many exploits only do one particular thing, so dismissal like this
47 is simply wrong and part of the problem. In fact I remember Linux being
48 criticised for execution on downloads, the best answer was noexec should
49 be used. There is also the possibility of users loading up limewire
50 etc..