From: Nate Seif <seifn@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Another C++ compiler cannot create executables issue
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:51:34
1 Hi there - I am trying to install Hardened Gentoo/SELinux on an x86
2 server (Pentium 4 CPU) and continually encounter the "C++ compiler
3 cannot create executables" error during the bootstrap process. I've
4 waded through the forums (and posted there
5 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-361737-highlight-.html), checked my
6 make.conf settings and verified settings with gcc-config but cannot
7 figure out how to get the bootstrap script to proceed. Regardless of my
8 CHOST settings in make.conf the bootstrap script errors out while
9 attempting to emerge python-2.3.5.
10
11 I came across a message posted by z3rosix (on the gentoo-hardened
12 mailing list) on 23 June 2005 that I believe addresses this exact issue,
13 but I'm hoping that someone can clarify. It appears that Alexader
14 Netopier Leonov was/is having the exact same problem as I am while
15 trying to bootstrap his system. z3rosix suggested looking at his umask.
16 What umask is he referring to? Is he referring to permissions on mounted
17 drives (i.e. /dev/hda3 mounted at /mnt/gentoo) or specific files? How do
18 I check and/or change this umask?
19
20 I've tried using the 20041123 Hardened boot CD as well as the
21 hardened-x86-2005.0_test9 boot CDs and get the same error regardless of
22 which boot CD I use.
23
24 Thanks in advance for your time -
25