From: klondike <franxisco1988@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] RFC doc on hardened.
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 01:37:33
1 El 27/09/10 20:58, Sven Vermeulen escribió:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > First a few general remarks, not related to the documentation you've
6 > written. Please, don't hesitate to comment on anything I write, and
7 > don't treat what I write as the absolute truth (I hope it is, but I'm
8 > still only human). Also treat it as constructive criticism.
9 >
10 > Oh, and take your time to read it, I don't expect answers within
11 > minutes ;-)
12 >
13 > When we need to write documentation, we should take special care that
14 > the documentation we write is easily maintainable. If there are only a
15 > handful of developers available to maintain the documentation, don't try
16 > to duplicate much of the documentation provided by the projects
17 > themselves (PaX, SELinux, ...) but rather refer to those documents
18 > instead.
19 >
20 > The main reason is that people tend to ignore documentation if they find
21 > something outdated inside it. We don't want people to ignore our
22 > documents because a paragraph on grSecurity is outdated, even though all
23 > Gentoo-related commands (and other info) is still very much valid. You
24 > can easily persuade yourself of this fact if you imagine you're reading
25 > a document on SELinux and it talks about the reference policy, version 1
26 > (rather than 2). I personally tend to skip the document and search for a
27 > more recent one then, even though the document itself may still be 100%
28 > valid.
29 Looks reasonable, the actual idea is splitting the document so it can
30 replace older grsec / pax guides.
31 > Because of the maintenance issues we might face, I would suggest a
32 > documentation approach using stages.
33 >
34 > First, write up quick reference(s) on how to deal with the various
35 > security projects on Gentoo Hardened. Treat the references as if they
36 > are meant for knowledgeable people (who know how to search for
37 > information) and try sticking with the Gentoo Hardened related
38 > activities & commands. Yes, it's fine to document commands that are not
39 > Gentoo Hardened specific, as long as the commands (and other reference
40 > material) is going to be used by developers and users.
41 No problem with this, though that'd take some time, I usually wrote docs
42 either by request or because I find something undocumented, I'd like to
43 know what people misses to write it :/
44 > Second (after the quick references), write developer documentation. A
45 > project is only as active as its developers are, so good developer
46 > documentation is a must. Developer documentation has the advantage that
47 > you can assume certain knowledge from the reader, and you don't need to
48 > write it in perfect phrazes. As long as it is understandable (for
49 > non-native English speakers) it's fine.
50 I can help developers with this, but I can't write this kinds of things
51 because I can't go into the minds of the developers, and I think is
52 faster and more efficient if they try to say what they are doing rather
53 than reverse engineering everything. (Needless to say I don't mind
54 correct, add references and the likes once I have something to start with).
55 > Only when such documentation is over can we think about user
56 > documentation. User documentation should be focusing on the end goal of
57 > the project (or subprojects). Don't try to duplicate documentation if
58 > the master project (SELinux, grSecurity, ...) offers great
59 > documentation; however, you don't want to refer to documentation of
60 > different distributions (not only for PR reasons, but also because those
61 > documents most often include the policies and principles of those
62 > distributions which may not be up to par with Gentoo Hardened's).
63 Sometimes other distros documents is all the sources we have to say what
64 things does :(
65 > Okay, with that said - good thing it's written, I would hate to repeat
66 > all that verbally ;-) - some feedback on the "GentooHardenedWhy"
67 > document...
68 >
69 > - You're starting with the assumption that the reader has knowledge
70 > about how process memory works. Later on, you explain it a bit more
71 > but you still use many terms that will be unknown to non-programmers
72 > (and especially 'standard' system administrators). That's okay, but
73 > you might want to inform the user about prerequired knowledge before
74 > diving into the topic.
75 Good idea, I'll do that. Anyway, aside from the attacks section, where
76 are the odd words?
77 Obviously to know how things like stack overflows work you must be a
78 programmer or have some programming knowledge (at least until I have
79 time to write a more real life like example).
80 > - I had troubles interpreting the tables that represent the stacks
81 > first: I didn't really interprete the first headings as being headings
82 > but rather data (which is really confusing). Also, if one doesn't
83 > really understand how stacks are used (and how they grow) it might be
84 > difficult to understand how you come from the "before" to the "after"
85 > state.
86 Okay, I'll try to explain that.
87 > - Of all the protections that Gentoo Hardened provides, I fail to find
88 > how to enable it (which is what users will look for). I know the
89 > toolchain provides it, and I assume it is enabled if USE="hardened" is
90 > set and the correct profile is used.
91 True, the original intention of the document was that it was meant for
92 people who didn't know of hardened, something like a commercial
93 brochure, though it growed a lot.
94 > - Your risk tables do not refer to the method or source used to generate
95 > the risk numbers. I'm pretty sure you know what you're talking about,
96 > but it might be interesting to tell the users how you came to the
97 > numbers, or use online resources to back up the figures
98 Mainly it comes from my own experience trying to exploit said
99 vulnerabilities by my self. Anyway I should do a more serious analysis.
100 > Generally, I get the feeling the document is more an article (one-time
101 > useful read) rather than a to-be-maintained document. It's a good read
102 > to refer people to when they ask what Gentoo Hardened actually does, but
103 > misses some user-related content which might steer away a large number
104 > of interested users.
105 >
106 Originally that was the idea, but I want to split it in smaller
107 documents. I suppose that adding the "How to enable it" would be a great
108 idea.