From: atoth@××××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Firefox+PaX+amazon.com
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 05:50:41
1 On Hét, November 5, 2007 02:22, pageexec@××××××××.hu wrote:
2 > On 5 Nov 2007 at 2:36, atoth@××××××××××.hu wrote:
3 >
4 >> Shame on me: permissions fixed.
5 >
6 > ok, next question: the coredump should be around 300MB, are you sure
7 > it wasn't truncated? in any case, uploading that much is probably not
8 > practical (and could expose personal info since all data mappings are
9 > in it), so it's probably if you skip it ;). you could still look at it
10
11 That was the case. I didn't capture the whole core.
12
13 > in gdb and disasm the code beginning at 0x13027000 (that would have
14 > been executed were it not for PaX).
15
16 I've tried to reproduce the symptom for a gdb core file session, but the
17 problem seems to be solved. I didn't reinstalled Firefox, so I guess some
18 incorrect contents were removed (probably flash). Nevertheless I watch out
19 for these and supply some more information next time I'll run into a
20 situation like this.
23 >> I give MPROTECT a try. But just for curiosity. I don't like the idea
24 >> running firefox without MPROTECT. I was disappointed when I had to turn
25 >> of
26 >> MPROTECT on python to get python-UNO bridge running.
27 >
28 > if it's the same UNO that openoffice uses then it's a tough nut, last
29 > i looked it seemed some overengineered uebercomplex piece of code for
30 > god knows what gain, rewriting it would take a lot of time if at all
31 > possible. at least they make a best effort at runtime code generation,
32
33 There's a citation reference program called "bibus". This one is attached
34 to openoffice using the python-UNO bridge.
35
36 > unlike your case where the 0x13027000 area was clearly non-executable,
37 > so there's a bug in whichever module created it (if you feel like
38 > debugging
39 > it, strace/gdb are your friends ;).
40
41 Thanks for your help.
42
43 Regards,