From: "Andrzej Wąsowski" <wazow@××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened kernel (?) dropping packets
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 09:11:39
1 Hi,
2
3 I have decided to try hardened-dev-sources instead of usual gentoo-dev-sources
4 on my new server. This machine is not running SELinux, it was installed
5 according to a usual Gentoo Handbook. I do not think I have a firewall
6 compiled in (I believe I switched off everything related to the firewall. The
7 machine is behind an external firewall).
10 When I ping this machine I am loosing between 1% to 50% of packets, in a very
11 unstable way. From time to time the communication gets stuck and then it
12 resumes again after 30s, a minute or so. This affects not only ping, but ssh as
13 well.
14
15 I have nearly ruled out routing problems. The communication is slightly better
16 when trying to reach the server from the same segment, but it is still loosing
17 packets (1%). When I am on remote segment the loss is higher (30-50%). This is
18 both ways, but it is especially bad form remote machine to server. It is better
19 from the server to a remote machine.
20
21 At the same time ping is nearly flawless when communicating between other
22 machines on the same networks (4-5 packages lost in a 1000 long session).
23
24 The NIC driver on the server is e1000. Kernel version is
25 hardened-dev-sources-2.6.7-r1.
26
27 Does anybody have any hint, what might be going wrong? What should I check?
28
29 Andrzej
33 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list