From: Robert Sharp <selinux@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Dnsmasq starts in wrong context after interface cycling?
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 13:12:54
1 I had a problem with Dnsmasq that led to my last post on understanding
2 where policies come from. Now that I know and have had dnsmasq
3 comfortably running with udp comms to unbound on port 553, I have run
4 into the original problem that I thought I had caused.
5
6 I suppose I did cause it, but not in the way I imagined. I was awash
7 again with AVCs from dnsmasq, but this time I took a closer look and
8 realised the source context was not as expected. Instead of running in
9 dnsmasq_t, it was running in resolvconf_t. I checked the binary and that
10 was as expected so I restarted using run_init just to see if that was
11 the problem, and it was! So now dnsmasq is running in the correct
12 context, but how did it ever get to resolvconf_t? Surely if I had
13 restarted it without using run_init then it would have been in sysadm_t?
14
15 One possibility is that it got into this context when my interface went
16 down and up again. I had a problem last night with my Virgin fibre modem
17 and I noticed that after the inevitable hardware reset, a bunch of
18 services had been restarted. Besides the issue that dnsmasq is not bound
19 to the interface in question, I guess I could test it quite easily,
20 although I am not sure everyone else on the LAN will be too keen.
21
22 Any thoughts welcome
23
24 Robert Sharp