From: RB <aoz.syn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] change /sbin/rc
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 12:54:40
1 On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 02:25, Javier J. Martínez Cabezón
2 <tazok.id0@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > Hi, I think that /sbin/rc should be changed from a shell script, the
4 > reason is that with gentoo hardened, security policies could be done
5 > removing all linux capabilities to root (and CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE), in my
6 > setup syslog-ng is launched as user audit (which has CAP_SYS_ADMIN and
7 > CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE as minimun rsbac capabilities), and between others
8 > utmp has owner as audit user. Since root has not capabilities this
9 > file cannot be touched, and chmod at boot. I can't grant to /sbin/rc a
10 > minimum capability CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE because it doesn't work since it's
11 > a bash shell-script, and granting it to mv, chmod etc is not a good
12 > idea as you can suppose :). Could it be done?
13
14 Beyond the fact that rsbac-admin and rsbac-sources have been removed,
15 there's no reason you can't do this. In my ~ARCH hardened systems
16 with openrc, /sbin/rc is a binary and not a shell script.