From: "Norman B. Robinson" <norman_b_robinson@×××××.com>
To: "mike@××××.org" <mike@××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened laptops
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 16:07:53
1 I haven't seen anything directly like this on the gentoo-hardened list
2 yet. I have seen the loopback encrypted filesystems and distro
3 discussions (nothing that isn't in the archives).
4
5 That said, you asked for comments; I have a few ideas.
6
7 NOT TRUSTING YOUR SYSTEM:
8 Realizing more and more that encryption is a needed part of my working
9 environment (I can't trust my administrators) this is of interest. I'd
10 like to also see User Mode Linux encyption addressed; how do you encrypt
11 your files if you DON'T want to trust your administrator? I've never
12 seen the functional aspects of user security, including various levels
13 of security risk (i.e., if you use UML encryption you could be exploited
14 by X, X, and X in Y environment) explained to end users.
15
16 RECOVERING YOUR SYSTEM:
17 I do not know how the 'phone home' option available on some laptops
18 works. I've never seen it explained (I'm assuming if it isn't done in
19 hardware a low level format of the harddrive erases any capability of a
20 ip locator being sent out). Perhaps rather than approaching the project
21 from an 'absolute' security standpoint you could address how you could
22 be more secure (various 'levels') and how you could address real
23 problems (like someone stealing your laptop, taking it home and plugging
24 it into broadband/dialup; having the previously mentioned 'phone home'
25 ip packet being sent out could be considered 'more secure' in that you
26 increase the likelyhood of either recovery or being able to remote
27 connect and detonate your data). Perhaps a honeypot boot environment for
28 the unwary that didn't provide a password would be useful - rather than
29 completely disabling the laptop (which would encourage formatting) it
30 allows use and sends out a packet of information with it's IP address to
31 a specified server.
32
33 USABILITY:
34 Zero-Interaction Authentication (ZIA) from Univ. of Michigan is an
35 interesting real workable solution for a proximity security token; it is
36 a limited broadcast area radio that has an encryption key. The system
37 encrypts when the user walks out of range and decrypts when the user
38 comes back in range. Barring sniffing and replay issues it addresses the
39 problems of user involvement in token keys. This isn't too different
40 than say a memory device with a security token except you don't have to
41 plug it in and it decreases the downtime during decryption. This general
42 idea is really about usability (the concept of keys (the memory device
43 or radiokey) and the concept of not 'interfering' with the use of the
44 computer because of encryption).
45
46 USABILITY and ENCODING:
47 Part of the solution may to actually create a simplified encryption
48 process. Rather than having the user memorize a strong key have a
49 short-term key with defined lockdown based on time. In the situation
50 where I'm going away from my desk I might just want a simple password to
51 lock the computer, when I reboot I want a stronger password (in case *I*
52 am not the one doing the rebooting!) and when I know I'm travelling I
53 want to lock it with a password and keyed cdrom token.
54
55 REDUNDANCY and NO BRAINER FALLBACK
56 Part of the usability above also should consider that humans are
57 imperfect beings. We sometimes forget things and loose our keys.
58 Addressing the issues of forgetting your password through split keys
59 (one you give to your friend, one you give to your mom, one you leave at
60 home and only two are needed to decrypt and reset your password) is
61 (pardon the pun) key. :) Also you should provide the information about
62 who can partner to decrypt your data to the end-user in case they forget
63 who they gave split keys to.
64
65 Also consider that you might want to have different physical keys work
66 on the same lock. I might have a USB memorystick with my key token(s)
67 AND I might have a CDROM that has the same key. Please allow me to use
68 one if the other isn't available.
69
70 GIMP vs GEEK
71 Consider that also you may want to remotely destroy your data - instead
72 of a phone home msg from a stolen laptop you might want the laptop to
73 also PULL from a location and if it finds a key phrase it detonates the
74 data - completely wipes the harddrive. This pull prevents the various
75 firewalls from blocking your initiation of destruction. Nothing saying
76 you can't delete your data and leave a broadcasting honeypot either!
77 This situation also warrents mentioning of a dead-man's switch. If I
78 don't provide a password token within 'X' minutes/hours/days the system
79 initiates data destruction. I know it is all encrypted - but you can't
80 decrypt what doesn't exist. I makes it so they have to have hardware and
81 have imaged your data before they begin brute-forcing it. (ok, ok, they
82 could just put you in a dark space and begin breaking your fingers...)
83
84 Finally, if you are unfamiliar with the term you should look up TEMPEST.
85 Although originally a method of blocking electronic transmissions that
86 could be picked up by 'the enemy' by incasing computers in metal, there
87 are several software methods, such as 'tempest fonts' that you may wish
88 to consider in conjuntion with your efforts.
89 http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:ucOb7yYGZasJ:www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ih98-tempest-slides.pdf+tempest+software+techniques&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
90
91 NO LAPTOP's AN ISLAND:
92 We also need to address how you get your data off of your system and
93 onto a new system securely. This includes backup. Once your data is
94 encrypted you can of course copy the filesystem but you need to copy the
95 ENTIRE filesystem. And you should be able to log in, and copy the system
96 from within the system (which would in this scenario be an unencrypted
97 system) to another computer. Yes, yes, easy enough to say use SSH, SCP,
98 etc. but address this rather than having a gaping hole in your security
99 plan (that hole being an uninformed end-user that is *ignorant*). Having
100 a solution doesn't mean that you prevent another solution from being
101 used, just that you've already thought it out and made it a no-brainer.
102
103 That's all my comments :)
104
105 Warm encrypted regards,
106
107 Norman
110 mike@××××.org wrote:
111
112 >I am interested in working on a secure laptop meta-project. Laptop
113 >security is interesting because some amount of physical security must
114 >be addressed. Laptop theft is big buisiness, after all.
115 >
116 >A well designed laptop operating system would be centered around encrypted
117 >filesystems and would have many applications:
118 >
119 >1. People who want to protect their personal data from theft.
120 >
121 >2. Buisinesses that want to protect secrets stored on their fleet
122 >of laptops.
123 >
124 >3. Military applications -- laptops are all over today's battlefield
125 >and a lucky ambush could easily reap classified information.
126 >
127 >4. Etc...
128 >
129 >A company named NAH6 (http://www.nah6.com) has a product like this.
130 >They use Linux in order to boot Windows from an encrypted volume.
131 >I would like to focus on a Linux environment as an end. The idea is that a
132 >lost or stolen laptop will not give up any sensitive information.
133 >
134 >Here are the components I envision including their current status:
135 >
136 >1. Encrypted root filesystem. The 2.6 Linux kernel and util-linux 2.12
137 >will provide this using an encrypted loopback interface. A speedier
138 >compromise is to use encrypted home directories only. I maintain a PAM
139 >module, pam_mount, that mounts encrypted home directories transparently. [ If
140 >you don't mind a shameless plug, there is an article about pam_mount in the
141 >August Linux Journal. ]
142 >
143 >2. Encrypted swap partition (or no swap at all). This is necessary because
144 >otherwise programs could swap secrets to a plaintext disk. The 2.6 Linux
145 >kernel's encrypted loopback interface can do this.
146 >
147 >3. An inproved authentication system. Encryption algorithms are useless
148 >if a weak key is used. Therefore it may be desireable to authenticate
149 >when booting and mounting an encrypted root filesystem (or mounting an
150 >encrypted home directory) using a physical token or other strong means.
151 >
152 >4. An intrusion detection system.
153 >
154 >5. Obviously, otherwise hardened software.
155 >
156 >Comments? Has anyone else talked about this around here?
157 >
158 >--
159 >Mike
162 >--