From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: "Rick \\\"Zero_Chaos\\\" Farina" <zerochaos@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o, hardened-dev@g.o, hardened@g.o, selinux@g.o, hardened-kernel@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Agenda for the meeting 2013-10-24 20:00UTC
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 18:06:43
1 On 10/22/2013 01:09 PM, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
2 >
3 > 4.0 Selinux
4 > 5.0 System Integrity
5 > 6.0 Profile
6 > I'd like to specifically discuss bringing back the desktop profile by
7 > user request.
10 The old desktop/server/developer profiles were removed for a good
11 reason. They cannot stack properly given their directory location and
12 conflicting inheritance requirements. We cannot bring them back as they
13 were else we will re-introduce the ancient multilib vs non-mutlilib
14 selinux issue in one manifestation or another.
15
16 Nonetheless, I think a desktop profile for hardened is possible along
17 the lines of what was done for selinux, ie put it in features. Only if
18 the desktop profile lands at the very bottom of the profile stack will
19 this work. Alternatively, you can duplicate the desktop profile from
20 default/linux in hardened/linux and do a simple inheritance from its
21 parent. This "duplication" would really not be much of a duplication
22 because there's probably stuff you want to tweak for your own purposes.
23
24 I was going to remove those deprecated directories today, but I can hold
25 off. To be clear, I'm not against a hardened desktop profile, just not
26 the implementation we had which was broken.
29 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
30 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
31 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
32 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
33 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA