From: Rob Kendrick <rjek@××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Bought an "entropy-key" - very happy
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:21:22
1 On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 20:17:12 +0000
2 Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > out of curiosity, what's that mean exactly?
5 > >
6 > I believe that the random numbers are encrypted out of the device? I
7 > say that because when you start up the userspace daemon you tell it a
8 > long random number supplied with the device. I assume this is
9 > designed to make sure that some local process can't sniff the entropy
10 > (over the USB bus, or whatever) before it's added to the kernel pool?
11
12 Pretty much. It is worth noting that the entropy is decrypted before
13 being added to the pool; it's not just a whitening scheme.
14
15 (Rootly processes can, of course, pretty much know whatever they want
16 to. The encryption and hand shaking is there to prevent physical
17 access to the outside of the case being as much of an issue.)
18
19 B.