From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] kernel no longer in hardened-development overlay?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 23:24:43
1 On 20/04/2010 00:05, Mansour Moufid wrote:
2 > On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 12:53 PM, Joseph C. Lininger<jbahm@××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hey folks,
5 >> Has anyone else noticed that the entire hardened-sources package has
6 >> vanished from the hardened-development overlay? I know it's a
7 >> development overlay and all, but I figured I should mention it because
8 >> it's just gone. All versions. It struck me as a bit odd. Any reason for
9 >> this?
10 >>
11 > I was never a fan of overlays, so I've been doing as Ed W suggests
12 > ever since I never received a response to my previous questions on the
13 > subject. Back when GCC still had SSP, I didn't think delays with
14 > hardened-sources were a big deal. But I think it's telling of the
15 > current state of the Gentoo Hardened project that hardened-sources are
16 > (certainly) more vulnerable than gentoo-sources, and even
17 > vanilla-sources.
18 >
19 > In any case, it's clear to me now that Gentoo Hardened is more a pet
20 > project of a handful of (not very communicative) developers than it is
21 > a serious (meta)distribution.
25 Hmm, I think this is inflamatory and as it happens I would disagree...
26
27 Can we please avoid annoying the few developers we have working on
28 hardened. I think it's fair to say that it's a small group, but equally
29 they have done a great job and really most of hardened in well catered
30 for. I even have a hardened uclibc running gcc 4.4, so I have to say a
31 big thankyou to everyone who made this possible...!
32
33 I would also disagree that there are some big vulnerabilities just
34 because your "stable" kernel is older. Personally I prefer to stay a
35 little more up to date, but I think there are a good may Redhat and
36 Centos servers running much older kernels than that...
37
38 More to the point though the whole project is hardly in tatters because
39 no one has pushed some newer version to "stable". I suspect the stable
40 version is lagging simply because the best ebuild has moved into this
41 overlay and hence it cannot become the "stable" version - so stable is
42 simply the last version in the main tree before the overlay became the
43 development source. Under the circumstances I think just set your
44 package mask appropriately and move on?
45
46 I think gentoo hardened is a fantastic project - please lets not
47 critique our few developers who continue to work on it.
48
49 Good luck
50
51 Ed W