From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] GOT protection
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:35:36
1 On 17 Oct 2006 at 15:47, Alejo Sanchez wrote:
2
3 > Now to the question. I was wondering if there is a way to protect GOT
4 > (besides having ET_DYN) in the way OpenBSD does
5 > (http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20030126143902). If not,
6 > what would you think on a similar patch for Hardened?
7
8 the GNU toolchain has provided -z relro -z now for 2 years now, it's
9 the proper implementation of GOT protection and is used by the hardened
10 gcc specs. OpenBSD's method is rather awkward as they mprotect the GOT
11 on each lazily resolved symbol.
12
13 > Also for some reason the ET_DYN on my amd64/hardened does only 40bit
14 > (paxtest reports as guessed). Is there something that needs touching
15 > in the toolchain to improve it?
16
17 i assume you mean the heap/stack randomization values. the reason for
18 not using anything close to 64 bits is that while the CPU architecture
19 works with 64 bit pointers in general, the actual CPU implementations
20 don't implement all of those 64 bits. the virtual address space size
21 is 48 bits currently, of which we randomize 'only' 40, leaving the 4
22 MSBs and LSBs alone.
25 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list