From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] -fforce-addr in CFLAGS.
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 01:38:21
1 James Larkby-Lahet wrote:
2 >
3 > Anyone know, better with respect to what? (ie faster instructions, nicer
4 > to the cache, "more" correct...)
5
6 It's a safe flag. I've used it for the last two or so years on x86, sparc, and
7 mips. I believe it complements -fforced-mem (which is implied by -O2, while
8 -fforce-addr isn't). At one point, -fforce-addr solved a bug in ssp until the
9 ssp maintainer implemented his own fix.
12 --Kumba
15 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
16 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
17
18 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
19 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
20 --
21 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list