From: Luis Ressel <aranea@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] RIP hardened-sources
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 17:04:38
1 On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 17:56:10 +0200
2 Daniel Cegiełka <daniel.cegielka@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > By the way, I don't know what the Gentoo Hardened or Alpine Linux
5 > have done wrong, that now are left out in the cold.
6
7 That's the part I don't get either. Since the only possible motivation
8 I can think of for this move is to generate more income, they could've
9 at least tried asking the community for donations first.
10
11 Now, I suppose someone is going to answer "If you'd be willing do
12 regularily donate to them, you might as well get a subscription", but I
13 fear this might have some serious drawbacks. In the past years,
14 the Gentoo Hardened devs have invested quite some work to make sure
15 most applications in the tree work on grsec/PaX-enabled kernels without
16 too much fallout. But now, there's suddently a lot less motivation to
17 keep up this work.
18
19 > Instead of complaining, we have to decide what to do next. In my
20 > opinion, it is critical to maintain support for PaX* for future
21 > kernels. It will not be easy, so I'm right away saying that Gentoo
22 > Hardened, Alpine Linux etc. should join forces in realizing this
23 > project. I think there will be more people who will be interested
24 > in...
25
26 It might be hard to come up with the manpower needed to maintain such a
27 large kernel patch. Assuming upstream stand by their decision in
28 the long run, I think the only reasonable long-term approach would be to
29 try mainlining as much as possible and forget about the rest. And as
30 Brad and PaX Team can surely tell us, that'd be a gargantuan task if it
31 is at all possible.
32
33 Regards,
34 Luis