From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] vmware broken on amd64 hardened
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 19:24:37
1 Hi!
2
3 On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 02:18:59PM +0200, pageexec@××××××××.hu wrote:
4 > > I can't try gentoo-sources and hardened-sources with exactly same
5 > > vmware-modules, because of extra patches needed for vmware-modules to make
6 > > it compatible with hardened, and these patches incompatible with non-hardened.
7 > what error do you get with the patched vmware modules under non-hardened?
8 > they simply move some structure initialization around, that should not be
9 > affected by the toolchain.
10
11 Actually there is no error anymore. I've replaced my previous
12 3.2.0-compatibility patch with similar patch from main portage, and now
13 vmware-modules with these 3 hardened-compatibility patches was compiled
14 without errors both for hardened kernel and 3.2.1-gentoo-r2.
15
16 So, I've just tested hardened vs non-hardened kernels using exactly same
17 vmware-modules. Result is same: on hardened kernel vmware reset host,
18 on gentoo kernel vmware works ok.
19
20 If you've any ideas how to debug/fix this issue - I'm ready to test
21 anything you need. VMware is critical tool for my work, so without it
22 chances are I'll have to convert my system back to x86. :(
23
24 > > +CONFIG_IA32_AOUT=y
25 > btw, i don't think you need/want a.out support anywhere these days ;)
26
27 Who knows. It shouldn't make any harm, anyway. I can remember about two
28 cases in last ~2-3 years when I did something with a.out. Don't remember
29 details, and that was surely very strange tasks, but it happens.
32 WBR, Alex.