From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Xen compilation on a hardened system
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:58:32
1 On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:32:21 -0400
2 Venkat Manakkal <venkat@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > On 09/27/2005 01:21 PM, Rumen Yotov wrote:
8 > | On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 13:48:59 +0200
9 > | kang <kang@g.o> wrote:
10 > |
11 > |
12 > |>Rumen Yotov wrote:
13 > |>
14 > |>
15 > |>>Hi,
16 > |>>In preparation for my new (third) partition, which will use Xen
17 > |>>virtual machine tried compiling it (just Xen-3 not Xen-sources) on
18 > a |>>RSBAC system.
19 > |>>It failed initially, but went w/o errors when i used "nopienossp"
20 > |>>GCC-3.3.6 profile (haven't tried with GCC-3.4.4-r1) but will later.
21 > |>>This is for your info only, don't think of filing a Bug.
22 > |>>Thanks. Rumen
23 > |>>
24 > |>>
25 > |>
26 > |>Do you mean that you are using a rsbac kernel to compile xen on or
27 > |>that you use a rsbac patched kernel with xen patch and that you try
28 > to |>compile it ?
29 > |
30 > | Hi,
31 > | Yes, compiled Xen on RSBAC system with a hardened compiler etc.
32 > | Think the important part here is the use of hardened
33 > compiler/linker. | Still haven't tied to compile a Xen-patched kernel
34 > on RSBAC, though my | initial intention was to use Xen on a separate
35 > partition, but if | successful could use both kernels (RSBAC & Xen)
36 > on a single partition. | Of course only Xen-0-kernel (superviser
37 > kernel), which can later start | other/userland kernels - Xen-U
38 > kernel. | Thanks.Rumen
39 >
40 > You need to run gcc-config -l and then set the gcc-config to a
41 > non-hardened toolchain - this seems the preferred way of disabling the
42 > hardened toolchain for a given package that seems to not like it. Then
43 > Xen will compile and run. The rest of your system can use the hardened
44 > toolchain. This was my experience with Xen and the same goes for the
45 > common-lisp compiler sbcl.
46 >
47 > Cheers,
48 >
49 > - ---Venkat.
50 >
51 ..SKIP...
52 Hi,
53 Thanks, already done just that.Only wanted to post this as info here.
54 Rumen