From: Remy Bosch <remybosch@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] kernel upgrade problems: bad page state
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 07:35:35
1 Brian Kroth wrote:
2 > Remy Bosch wrote:
3 >> Brian Kroth wrote:
4 >>> I started getting these messages after an upgrade from
5 >>> hardened-sources-2.6.20-r10 to 2.6.22.r8. Nothing changed from the
6 >>> old config. I just did "make oldconfig" and answered N to everything
7 >>> since they weren't relevant. In particular, nothing in PAX or GrSec
8 >>> menus were changed, though whenever I get big nasty messages like this
9 >>> I suspect one of them. Can anyone give me some direction as to how to
10 >>> fix this or what might be causing it? I can post the full configs if
11 >>> need be.
12 >>>
13 >>> Thanks,
14 >>> Brian
15 >>
16 >> I had bad-page errors as well. What I did was wait to see if the adres
17 >> stayed the same. In my case it was, and I can only conclude it was bad
18 >> ram. And with 2GB for only desktop useage, I didnot get the massage
19 >> often. Besides, in my case memtest did not get the faulty page. Even
20 >> after 8+ runs. atm I add the badram-patch to my kernel, so i can pass
21 >> the faulty page address to the kernel, in order to have it ignored.
22 >>
23 >> I got this page broken:
24 >> page:c1b1fdc0 flags:0x80000000 mapping:00000001 mapcount:0 count:0
27 >> Goodluck!
28 >>
29 >> Remy
33 > Where's this badram-patch and who supports it? memtest also didn't
34 > report any errors for me. I let it run for 9 passes and decided to
35 > try again. This is a server with ECC ram, so I would think it would
36 > catch it, but I can't say for certain since I don't know the details
37 > well enough (at least at the moment). A quick grep/sed of kern.log
38 > shows the output below, so
39
40 http://rick.vanrein.org/linux/badram/
43 Remy