From: PaX Team <pageexec@××××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Meeting log 2012-11-14 20:00UTC
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:02:45
1 On 19 Nov 2012 at 11:37, Maxim Kammerer wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 2:25 AM, Matthew Thode
4 > <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Originally virtualization was slow on grsec/pax with either uderef or
6 > > kernexec enabled.
7 >
8 > My impression was that UDEREF/KERNEXEC were slow in guest. Is it
9 > wrong, or did these settings affect host as well?
10
11 there was a bug in the per-cpu pgd feature (that those two features rely on
12 on amd64) that, when enabled on the host, would cause a big guest slowdown
13 (regardless of what the guest was).
14
15 that these two features have a performance impact on their own is a separate
16 issue and something i can't help without proper hw support (think SMEP/SMAP).
17
18 > > Pipacs overcame this limitation in 3.5.4-r1 and
19 > > overcame a memory commit issue kvm was having in 3.5.4-r2. He overcame
20 > > it using nested page tables on newer CPUs, which means older CPUs will
21 > > likely still be slow.
22 >
23 > So one needs at least 3.5.4-r2 in both hardened guest and host, and
24 > nested page tables support in CPU?
25
26 for this bug only the host matters and use more like 3.6 please since we no
27 longer support 3.5 (and in a few weeks that'll become 3.7 ;) or our 2.6.32/3.2
28 stable series.
29
30 nested page tables help with the inherent performance impact of per-cpu pgd
31 (that is, if you enable it in your guest kernels as well), independently of
32 the performance bug i fixed some months ago.