From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-hardened@l.g.o" <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] 2.6.20-r2 .... FLIES! (thanks)
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 19:40:23
1 First, a big Thanks to Caleb Cushing, Javier Barrio, and Brian Kroth for
2 generously offering their assistance to this newbie; both in getting
3 the configuration repaired, and in starting with iptables which seems
4 presently necessary in order to firewall the '20x kernel series. It's
5 easy to lurk; thankfully these guys stepped up.
6
7 Second, please let me correct an earlier suggestion that 2.6.20-r2 is
8 slow; 'tain't so. It is faster'n blazes (now that it is configured
9 properly.)
10
11 Don't know exactly what went wrong, as I had "* other issues" along the
12 way. The settings that were changed, and might have been the problem:
13
14 - Changing the PAX "default non-executable page method" from pageexec
15 to setmexec.
16
17 - Changing the preemption model from server to low-latency desktop.
18
19 * The "other issues" include the fact that bzimage has been renamed to
20 bzImage, which caused my compilation script to fail - something I
21 didn't initially notice - and which obviated some of my tests to
22 determine what specifically went wrong.
23 --
24 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list