From: Javier Juan Martinez Cabezon <tazok.id0@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] New GCC options: -fcf-protection & -fstack-clash-protection
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 18:18:25
1 It's would be feasible to include Grsec RAP gcc plugin in gentoo hardened?
2
3 I think it would be a better alternative than fcf-protection does
6 On 24/02/19 16:16, "Tóth Attila" wrote:
7 > Dear Guillaume,
8 >
9 > I'm not a Gentoo Dev either.
10 >
11 > If there's a place to promote useful gcc flags from their security aspect,
12 > Gentoo Hardened is a good place to become a leader of such efforts - like
13 > it happened in the past.
14 >
15 > 1. Regarding fcf-protection:
16 > "Currently the x86 GNU/Linux target provides an implementation based on
17 > Intel Control-flow Enforcement Technology (CET)."
18 > - anybody knows which Intel processor actually supports that since its
19 > announcement in 2016?
20 > - also it worth to take a look at on these comments by Spender @ grsecurity:
21 > https://grsecurity.net/effectiveness_of_intel_cet_against_code_reuse_attacks.php
22 > It would be good if hardware developers would discuss their plans with
23 > more security experts before they put something into production.
24 >
25 > 2. Regarding stack-clash
26 > "Most targets do not fully support stack clash protection."
27 > - some information would be helpful to elaborate a little bit more on "not
28 > fully" and exactly which targets we are talking about. Anybody has a more
29 > detailed documentation?
30 >
31 > Best regards:
32 > Dw.