From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux base policy -r13 in overlay, adds "ubac" USE flag
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 13:27:48
1 On 5/2/2011 3:26 PM, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > sec-policy/selinux-base-policy-2.20101213-r13 is pushed to the overlay. The
3 > most notable change here is that the ebuild now uses a local USE flag "ubac"
4 > which enables User Based Access Control within the policy.
5 >
6 > Previously, UBAC was enabled but could not be disabled. However, most other
7 > distributions have disabled UBAC and are waiting for the RBAC model within
8 > SELinux to improve. Although this work is on the way, it isn't there yet and
9 > I personally do not dislike the UBAC idea.
10 >
11 > However, we have at least one issue that was difficult to debug due to UBAC:
12 > the vixie-cron "ENTRYPOINT FAILED" messages. Apparently, vixie-cron checks
13 > the privileges on the users' crontab. However, if the root crontab wasn't
14 > created by a console-logged-on root user (SELinux identity "root") but
15 > through a su(do)'ed user (SELinux identity "staff_u" most likely), then the
16 > UBAC kicked in and didn't allow cron to work.
17 >
18 > Although the solution is simple (either create the root cronjob through the
19 > root SELinux identity, or change the SELinux identity of the crontab file to
20 > "root" afterwards), disabling UBAC also works here.
21 >
22 > We had a small discussion on #gentoo-hardened and a larger discussion on
23 > #selinux about UBAC. Nice as we are, we of course do not want to force any
24 > choice upon our users, so we decided to see if we can work with a USE flag
25 > to switch the UBAC functionality. The only remaining discussion is if we
26 > want to have this USE flag enabled by default, or not. If we want to enable
27 > it by default, we should work with the pending upgrade of the profiles to do
28 > so. But imo, we do not really have to enable it by default.
29
30 I can't disagree with this more vehemently. This should not be made a
31 USE flag. If the user doesn't want role separations, then they should
32 be using unconfined users. Making this an option means users
33 unwittingly neuter the role separation by eliminating app, home
34 directory, temp directory, etc. separations.
35
36 This is a wrong band-aid fix for the cron issue. It sounds like the
37 cron code needs to be fixed.
40 Chris PeBenito
41 <pebenito@g.o>
42 Developer,