From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] pidgin & nvidia-drivers-355.11
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 23:07:03
1 Hi!
2
3 I've just updated from nvidia-drivers-352.30 to 355.11, and after reboot
4 pidgin failed to start:
5
6 pidgin: error while loading shared libraries:
7 /usr/lib64/libGLdispatch.so.0: cannot make segment writable for
8 relocation: Permission denied
9
10 and kernel log is:
11
12 kern.alert: grsec: denied RWX mprotect of
13 /usr/lib64/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGLdispatch.so.0 by /usr/bin/pidgin
14
15 I've temporary switched to `eselect opengl set xorg-x11` and was able to
16 start pidgin, but I wonder is there other way to work around this issue?
17 Problem is, I don't like to use `paxctl-ng -m /usr/bin/pidgin` because
18 pidgin is one of "these" apps - it process a lot of data from network, it
19 support a lot of protocols, does a lot of complex parsing…
20
21 And main question is: why the hell pidgin needs OpenGL? I don't have any
22 "visual" plugins for pidgin enabled, so at a glance it shouldn't use OpenGL.
23 And it was able to work without is before I've updated nvidia-drivers, so
24 maybe something is wrong with this nvidia-drivers version.
25 How to find out why pidgin needs this library at all?
28 P.S. I know using hardened on workstation with nvidia-drivers isn't
29 supported, that's why I'm asking here instead of opening bug report.
32 WBR, Alex.