From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Stupid Hardened Questions
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 05:18:58
1 On Friday 17 March 2006 00:02, Mikey wrote:
2 > When I look in /etc/env.d/05gcc, nothing is set for GCC_SPECS:
3
4 that's because hardened profiles have the default specs swapped from the
5 default specs in a non-hardened profile ...
6
7 hardened profile specs: default vanilla
8 non-hardened profile specs: hardened default
9
10 basically, while building gcc, we do something like:
11 if use hardened ; then
12 cp hardened.specs specs
13 else
14 cp vanilla.specs specs
15 fi
16 where "specs" represents the default compiler settings
17
18 so the `gcc-config -l` output on a hardened system lists "vanilla" as an
19 option while on a non-hardened system you get the option "hardened"
20
21 > So I guess my question is - how do I know everything is actually being
22 > compiled with the hardened specific flags? A diff
23 > on /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.4.5/specs and hardened.specs shows no
24 > differences, is it safe to assume the default specs file is being used even
25 > though it is not being set anywhere in the environment?
26
27 see above as to why your diff showed no differences
28 -mike
29 --
30 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list