From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: Hardened Gentoo Mail List <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Cc: fanfan@××××××××××××.fr
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux policy versions
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 16:48:46
1 For those SELinux users unfamiliar, the compiled policy is versioned.
2 The first version that was merged into 2.6 months ago, and also is in
3 the 2.4 backports has been version 15. The version number only has to
4 be incremented when new features are added that require changes to the
5 structure of the compiled policy. In 2.6.5, conditional policy
6 extensions have been added. These "policy booleans" enable and disable
7 policy rules at runtime, without reloading the policy (the ability to
8 enable or disable a boolean is, of course, controlled by policy). This
9 required a bump to version 16. In 2.6.6-rc1, ipv6 support has been
10 added, requiring a bump to version 17. Normally, the policy versions
11 don't get bumped quickly like this, but the NSA and friends are hard at
12 work adding things, lately.
13
14 How does this affect Gentoo SELinux users? The new 2004.1 profiles will
15 be the first to have a policy compiler that can compile different policy
16 versions. The only adjustment needed is in the policy Makefile
17 (starting with base-policy 20040418). In the Makefile, around line 23
18 there is a line that looks like this:
19
20 POLICYCOMPAT = -c 15
21
22 Normally, checkpolicy 1.10 will create a policy for the current version
23 (17). With the above option uncommented, a compatibility policy can be
24 created. The above statement will create version 15 policy, and it can
25 be changed to 16. To compile a version 17 policy, this statement should
26 be commented out.
27
28 How can I tell which version policy my kernel supports? There are
29 several ways to determine the kernel's policy version. A change to the
30 kernel eclass has been made that will display the policy version that
31 the kernel expects:
32
33 * The SELinux policy version of this kernel is 16.
34
35 The policy version of the current kernel can be determined by running
36 sestatus, or run `policyvers`. On a side note, current kernels can load
37 the previous version policy, for compatibility (v17 can load v16), but
38 this may change in the future.
39