From: John Schember <j5483@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] security updates
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 17:05:22
1 On Sat, 2007-02-10 at 17:02 +0100, Nagy Gabor Peter wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I have a question:
5 I think you had more than a single question... But the list is here to
6 get help so the more questions the merrier ;-).
7
8 > Since I am new to gentoo, I don't know how security updates work.
9 GLSA is what you're looking for. You can see all current security
10 announcments at http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/
11
12 > I know Debian. In Debian if I have stable installed on a production
13 > server, I get regular security fixes, often backported from the current
14 > bleeding edge version, where upstream has fixed the bug to the version
15 > that Debian stable contains.
16 On Gentoo it is back ported as needed. Often the latest version contains
17 the fix and as long as it is stable on all supported arches the fix will
18 not be back ported to older versions.
19
20 > I have noticed that in gentoo there are many versions of a package that
21 > are considered stable. Take glibc as an example, according to
22 > http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=glibc, on x86 there are 8
23 > versions available, all of them stable.
24 If you look at http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/glsa-200410-19.xml
25 you can see the fix was back ported in a bunch of -r# releases. If you
26 have a doubt about security fixes to an older package release check
27 GLSA.
28
29 > I have now two gentoo machines, one is going to be production, the
30 > other is used to get me a little bit more familiar with the system.
31 >
32 > On the playground machine I have 2006.1 installed, glibc 2.4-r3
33 > On the production machine I have 2006.0, switched to hardened profile,
34 > and then recompile, there I have glibc 2.3.6-r5
35 >
36 > I see now that glibc 2.4-r3 should be upgraded to 2.4-r4 (by the way,
37 > where can I check the differences (Changelog) between two gentoo
38 > versions (like r3 and r4)?)
39 The change log is in the directory in your local portage tree.
40 ie, /usr/portage/sys-libs/glibc/ChangeLog You can also use the
41 unofficial portage listing page http://gentoo-portage.com to see the
42 change log.
43
44 > So my question: If someone finds a bug in glibc that gets corrected,
45 > what does the gentoo maintainers do about it? Do they backport the fix
46 > in all 8 versions? Or just in some of the versions and mark the not
47 > fixed ones ~?
48 ~arch is the equivalent of Debian testing. They are simply packages that
49 have been added to the tree but need to be verified stable. Packages
50 that are stable but have a security issue do not go back to ~arch. It is
51 only way from ~arch (testing) to arch (stable).
52
53 > Is there some mailinglist (like debian-security-announce) where such
54 > security fixes are announced?
55 Here is how to for how to check if any packages you have installed have
56 an announcement after syncing.
57 http://forums.vpslink.com/showthread.php?t=745 Basically
58
59 > What is the reason that the hardened profile selects the 2.3.6 version
60 > instead of the 2.4? I mean not in glibc's case only, but generally.
61 > Does libc 2.4 have troubles with ssp?
62 That is the reason. The SSP patches that the hardened profile uses are
63 not available for 2.4. They probably won't ever be available for 2.4
64 simply because 2.5 is in ~arch right now. Supposedly when 2.5 gets
65 marked stable there will be SSP patches for it and it will be used on
66 the hardened profile.
67
68 John Schember
71 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list