From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Tin Hat memory requirements?
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 11:14:49
1 On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 13:37 +0300, Jan Klod wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 > I am interested in setting up distro in RAM for file server, but the thing is:
4 > I only have 1GB of RAM (max in board). Since fileserver really doesn't
5 > require much of software, I was consider asking this question: can Tin Hat
6 > help here?
7 > How booting is done?
8 > How back-synchronization happens (from RAM to backup)? Only manually by
9 > copying?
10 >
11 > Hope you give some advices,
12
13 If you dont need xorg you might want to take a look at alpine linux,
14 distro based on gentoo hardened with uclibc/busybox. It is designed to
15 run firewalls and vpns from RAM but can also be used for ISCSI, vserver
16 hosts, samba/nfs and others.
17
18 during boot it installs all the needed packages to RAM. There is a local
19 backup utility that helps to backup your /etc to USB memory together
20 with the list of installed packages so get your configuration back.
21
22 http://alpinelinux.org
23
24 -nc