From: Sid S <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Exploring Gentoo Hardened
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 08:50:34
1 Encrypted disks are "easy," though some configurations aren't supported
2 elegantly (using a keyfile, or using an encrypted keyfile). Using genkernel
3 to create a ramdisk has worked every time for me, dracut has not. (It is
4 requested Luis Ressel share his ramdisk :)
5
6 Hardened is more than usable, though some pre-built software and some
7 drivers will either require intervention or not work. The software is
8 usually fixable, stuff that needs to compile against the kernel usually
9 isn't. Sometimes there's patches.
10
11 Hardened with SELinux is kind of usable, but the docs note a desktop
12 profile isn't supported. I'm not aware of any desktop environments with
13 working policies - they might exist, but I had to modify policies so much
14 I'm not sure if I did that or not. I've not used grsecurity's RBAC. It has
15 a learning mode, but from reading the documentation they seem to both have
16 the same level of involvement, RBAC possibly more (if you want to check
17 everything, instead of blindly accepting what it learned).
18
19 Regards.