From: "Tóth Attila" <dwokfur@×××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Tikiwiki temporary files in / !
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 12:24:20
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm just fine-tuning a machine running Hardened Gentoo Linux. I started
4 from stage1 and build the whole system with USE hardened. I have ~x86
5 also. I set up tikiwiki CMS from portage (v1.8.2 Sirius). Other remarkable
6 versions: Apache:2.0.50, mod_ssl:2.0.50, OpenSSL:0.9.7d, PHP:4.3.8.I'm about to work out an ACL system based on Grsecurity, being in the
7 evaluation period for the required ACLs. I noticed a strange symptom, that
8 apache2 keeps creating some kind of temporary files in the root directory
9 (I mean real root, not the www root) with scrambled names, which it
10 immediately erases. It also uses /tmp with similar srambled names.Other php based web programs (squirrelmail, phpscheduleit) do not show
11 this phenomenon.As it was highlighted, I had to notice that apache tries to write in /.
12 Although I specified to run as apache:apache in commonapache2.conf, after
13 executing /etc/init.d/apache2 start, one instance of the httpd remains
14 root, the others continue to run as apache. Is it the normal behaviour?Php session files are stored in a separate folder for security reasons,
15 php-accelerator uses exclusively /tmp directory.
16 What can be the reason? Has anyone experienced the same?
17 I haven't find any configuration options in possible conjunction with this
18 issue.
19 I suspect multiple problems here. Firstly: why apache run under root, if I
20 set it to apache:apache, secondly: why it tries to create directories in
21 /?In addition - to make this issue more complicated - the learned acl rules
22 show, that apache2 tries to create these damned files only as apache, not
23 as root (it is listed only in the apache role not in the root role).
24 Please share your ideas and suggestions.
25
26 Thx,
27 Dw.
30 dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus Rezidens, 06-30-5962-962
31 Attila Toth MD, Radiology Resident, +36-30-5962-962
36 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list