From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o, "Krueger, Jan" <jk@×××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Ports Security
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 18:34:21
1 based on the openbsd page you pasted, and my own intuitions i'll
2 just say this isn't ever going to be done. There is no reason to
3 add this kind of checking into the user side of portage. The ports
4 security page is an outline of how ports should act, ie: how they
5 should be developed, before they ever reach the user. This is the
6 correct place to do this sort of checking, the user side is a great
7 place to add ssp, et_dyn, etc but as far as security checks go,
8 correcting the install paths, etc, the ebuilds do this already
9 and anytime there is a necessary change in a Makefile or
10 whatever the ebuild does this, this is _NOT_ a user feature and
11 never will be one.
12
13 this _IS_ however a developer feature, we do have repoman for
14 ebuilds but it's checks are limited. If someone were willing to write
15 something that could do extensive checking on the whole build
16 process that would be welcomed, and maybe a set of regression
17 tests targeted at especially sensitive packages.
18
19 Joshua Brindle
20
21 >>> Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net> 09/05/03 03:25PM >>>