From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] RFC: Removing -unicode from all hardened profiles
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 21:03:12
1 On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 09:12:37PM +0200, Hinnerk van Bruinehsen wrote:
2 > unicode works fine for me on several hardened systems. I don't think,
3 > that there would be real problems.
4 > But to make it sure: why don't you write a news item (eselect news ...
5 > - -thingy) that announces the switch.
6 > Anyone who needs -unicode for some reason would have the chance to
7 > update hers or his make.conf (maybe even to go with "never change a
8 > working system").
9
10 I don't think it is necessary to use a news item. These are generally for
11 when things might break. A change in USE flags that add in optional support
12 generally doesn't break things (of course, there are always exceptions).
13
14 Users that run their upgrades with --new-use or --changed-use are already
15 expecting USE flag changes to occur (otherwise they wouldn't mention these
16 switches with emerge). If you notice that there are USE flags being enabled
17 or disabled that you rather don't, just edit /etc/make.conf and live happily
18 ever after.
19
20 Although there is much to say about "minimal installation" for servers, this
21 is not always something that we, from a distribution point of view, can
22 enforce. Some features, and I think unicode is one of them, are well capable
23 of being supported on a default server. Especially with more and more users
24 and organizations adopting unicode as the default character format rather
25 than the older ISO-* ones.
26
27 Wkr,
28 Sven Vermeulen