From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o, "Herran, Martin de la" <zenzei@××××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux integrated in 2.6.0-test3
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 17:51:39
1 Yes, LSM is fairly big and intrusive, the LSM guys and the SELinux guys
2 worked very hard to finally get it suitable for inclusion dispite the
3 feature freeze (linus told them he'd accept it). It does mean, however
4 that there were API changes both in LSM and SELinux and so the
5 userland, selinux libs, etc are totally different, we are in the process
6 of getting these new patches working so they can be put into
7 portage. Pebenito has already fixed up his policy to work with the
8 2.6 selinux (not many changes) and he's even running selinux on
9 his PPC !! :) (this wasn't possible with the older API that needed
10 architecture specific registers).
11
12 This will certainly make SELinux more accessible to everyone, and
13 is a great step in Linux. Anyone who is willing to test the new
14 SELinux stuff on 2.6 you can drop by #gentoo-hardened or
15 reply here, Thanks.
16
17 Joshua Brindle
18
19 >>> Martin de la Herran <zenzei@××××××.com> 08/09/03 11:06AM >>>
20 Hi everybody,
21
22 In case you haven't seen it, SELinux patch is now integrated in the new
23 test kernel. This seems most interesting:
24
25 -kernel source will not need to be patched for it
26 -it will be available in all configurations: no more problems merging
27 selinux patches and other (future) patches.
28 -more public awareness will probably mean more people will try and use
29 it.
30
31 I hope this move helps the hardened gentoo selinux project; I would be
32 glad to hear your opinion about this move: isn't it quite a big patch to
33 add into the -test series? (I thought they were into feature freeze
34 code, patching only). Anyway, I'm glad they are betting for it!
35
36 Greetings,
37
38 Martín de la Herrán.