From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] missing the meeting
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2014 01:08:43
1 Hi fellow hardened devs:
2
3 I'm sorry for missing the meeting but things came up and the day got
4 hectic. It is an important meeting because we were to discuss:
5
6 1) what we want with toolchain.eclass - There is a move to get rid of
7 the eclas because it is "messy". This is probably a bad thing in
8 general and especially for hardened so we should discuss the pros and
9 cons and what we want.
10
11 2) what to do about tar and POSIX capabilities in the context of
12 building stage3's. Utilities like ping that used to be setuid to root
13 are now just using posix caps. But preserving xattrs with tar is
14 tricky. Since we dealt with this for the user.pax.* xattr namespace
15 jmbsvicetto asked us to look at security.capability. However, the issue
16 may now be mute because I just got a message from him that
17
18 tar --xattrs --xattrs-include=security.capability
19 --xattrs-include=user.* --acls -xjpvf
20
21 works to get us all the xattr goodies we need for hardened and gentoo in
22 general.
25 We should try to discuss 1 soon-ish before Cthulu awakens and madness
26 reigns in gentoo.
29 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
30 Chair of Information Technology
31 D'Youville College