From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: kernel no longer in hardened-development overlay?
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 22:29:34
1 On 19/04/2010 20:45, David Sommerseth wrote:
2
3 [snip]
4
5 > Yes, you are right. But still ... it's now closer to one year *without*
6 > any updates for the stable kernel. Which means, compiling the latest
7 > upstream 2.6.33.2 kernel might be a lot safer, than the 2.6.28-r9 which
8 > is marked stable now.
9 >
10 > As a comparison, Red Hat comes regularly with security fixes to their
11 > kernels, some RHEL based kernels almost have an update with security
12 > fixes every month. Of course you can blame it on the amount of
13 > resources and equipment available for testing. On the other hand RHEL
14 > do backport patches from newer kernels to older kernels (to maintain
15 > certifications) with (mostly) security fixes. That do take a lot of
16 > manpower to manage. Anyhow, being able to release a new kernel for a
17 > "stable marked" as RHEL aims at, containing security fixes, tells
18 > something about the amount of vulnerabilities found in the kernel.
19 >
20 > But, the hardened-sources really touches the nerve now in regards to
21 > what I feel is safe. The PaX patches do provide some extra security
22 > which not many else have. But still ... I am not as confident with
23 > Hardened Gentoo as I once was. I honestly think that the hardened
24 > sources now are more vulnerable than gentoo-sources, just because of the
25 > age of the kernel. Granted, gentoo-sources do not have the PaX patch
26 > set, but it is still fresher with more CVE and other security fixes than
27 > what the current stable hardened-sources do have.
28 >
29 > Fair enough, the Gentoo portage kernels do add some fixes which is not
30 > in upstream yet ... but that's only valid when the kernel is not as old
31 > as this one.
32 >
33 > I have no problem accepting if the Hardened team withdraws the current
34 > hardened-sources. It will most probably create a lot more noise for
35 > some time. But the current situation is unsustainable, in my honest
36 > opinion. In fact, it would be a more honest approach if the Hardened
37 > team withdraw the sources - giving advises to which stable kernel to run
38 > instead or which approach to take to get a better solution.
39 >
40 > The only reason I do not switch kernel yet (or distro), is that I still
41 > have a hope that a newer kernel is just around the corner. But my hope
42 > is fading... and lately faster than earlier.
45 +1 insightful. I wholeheartedly concur.
46
47 Cheers,
48
49 --Kerin