From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] The state of grsecurity in gentoo
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 19:47:42
1 On 09/03/2015 02:28 PM, Marc Schiffbauer wrote:
2 > * Anthony G. Basile schrieb am 02.09.15 um 18:13 Uhr:
3 >> Hi everyone,
4 >>
5 >> So by now most people have heard the news that the Grsecurity/PaX team
6 >> are no longer going to be making their stable patches available. The
7 >> reason is that they are in dispute with a certain embedded systems
8 >> vendor and those negotiations broke down. So they decided to make their
9 >> stable patches only available to the sponsors. [1]
10 >>
11 >> What does this mean for Gentoo? Up until now I have been maintaining
12 >> both the grsec upstream stable and testing patchsets in our
13 >> hardened-sources. Currently the upstream stable kernels are 3.2.71 and
14 >> 3.14.51 and the testing are 4.1.6. In about one week, the 3.2.71 and
15 >> 3.14.51 patchsets will no longer be available and I'll continue pushing
16 >> out the 4.1.6. Unfortunately the testing patchset is precisely as the
17 >> name suggests --- for testing and not production. For the embedded
18 >> systems company this will be the kiss of death because those patches are
19 >> not suitable for long term. For Gentoo it will mean that I will have to
20 >> be more vigilant about bugs and trying to stick with a well known kernel
21 >> before moving on. You can still use these kernels in production, but
22 >> you must be carefull about instabilities as upstream pushes out
23 >> experimental feature that may oops or panic. Keep older kernel images
24 >> around and revert if it doesn't work. Look to this list for
25 >> announcements about more serious issues like things that can cause data
26 >> loss.
27 >>
28 >> I'm hoping that once this company feels the sting of what has just
29 >> happened, they'll come back to the table and talk with Grsec/PaX people.
30 >> They won't be able to ship boards with grsec anymore because its not so
31 >> easy to switch out a kernel on a board! If they ship a board with a
32 >> bug, they loose. We just reboot :)
33 >>
34 >> [1] https://grsecurity.net/
35 >
36 > Can't Gentoo be a sponsor? I think we could easly croudfund a
37 > sponsorship.
38 >
39 > This would help Gentoo and Grsecurty/PaX but OTOH that vendor might just
40 > use the gentoo kernel if they not already did so.
41 >
42 > Thoughts?
43 >
44 We can't do that because it would make the LTS patches public, which
45 spender is trying to avoid.
48 -- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)