From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] vmware & grsecurity.disable_modules
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 14:43:15
1 Hi!
2
3 On servers I build kernel without module support. But on workstation it's
4 impossible to avoid using kernel modules: vmware-modules, nvidia-drivers...
5
6 I'm usually load required modules while boot and then do in /etc/sysctl.conf:
7 kernel.grsecurity.disable_modules = 1
8 kernel.grsecurity.grsec_lock = 1
9
10 But that doesn't work out of box for vmware: /etc/vmware/init.d/vmware try
11 to load/unload kernel modules while processing start/stop commands - and,
12 surely, fail in my configuration.
13
14 The fix is ease: just comment out few insmod and rmmod lines in
15 /etc/vmware/init.d/vmware and load all required modules while boot
16 (vmmon, vmci, vmblock, vmnet).
19 Is it have sense to patch /etc/vmware/init.d/vmware this way on hardened
20 systems in vmware ebuild by default?
23 WBR, Alex.