From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Python stops working after upgrade
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 14:51:16
1 On 05/29/2013 02:31 AM, "Tóth Attila" wrote:
2 > 2013.Május 29.(Sze) 03:29 időpontban Anthony G. Basile ezt írta:
3 >> On 05/28/2013 07:46 PM, "Tóth Attila" wrote:
4 >>> If PT_PAX has E, python2.7 would not start on my system.
5 >>> Let's correct that:
6 >>> paxctl-ng -e /usr/bin/python2.7
7 >>>
8 >>> Now python works again.
9 >>
10 >> Something changed in the latest python upgrades because I'm having
11 >> problems of a different nature. I'll have to investigate.
14 > I wanted the community to know, that the situation looks scary for the
15 > first time, but there's an easy fix. In case anybody else runs into this.
18 You can pass a glob to paxctl-ng so for example
19
20 paxctl-ng -v /bin/*
21
22 will show PT_PAX and XATTR_PAX flags for all binaries in /bin.
23
24 >>>
25 >>> Sidenote:
26 >>> Even after running migrate-pax -m, there are binaries on the system
27 >>> having
28 >>> only PT_PAX marking. Example:
29 >>> migrate-pax -m
30 >>> paxctl-ng -v /usr/bin/clear
31 >>> /usr/bin/clear:
32 >>> PT_PAX : -e---
33 >>> XATTR_PAX : not found
34 >>>
35 >>
36 >> Unfortunately it is very difficult to find everything that links against
37 >> everything on a system. First there's just a simple logistic problem,
38 >> going through all ELF on a system and running ldd (or readelf -d) is
39 >> time consuming and likely to miss stuff. On gentoo with portage (not
40 >> paludis!) we have linkage info in NEEDED.ELF.2 in vdb created at build
41 >> time by examing linkage info, but this also can't be everything.
42 >> Consider plugins that dlopen-ed at runtime.
43 >>
44 >> So something will be missed.
45 >
46 > Is there an easy command I can use to list binaries having PT_PAX flags
47 > and missing XATTR_PAX flags?
50 >> BUT!
51 >>
52 >> That's not what's happening there. No XATTR_PAX flags implies the
53 >> default markings which is "-e---". This is so we don't have to go
54 >> around creating xattrs on every ELF binary on your system just to get
55 >> the default. Upstream wanted it that way and it does make sense.
56 >
57 > According to my recent experience, if EMUTRAMP is enabled by a PT_PAX flag
58 > and there's no XATTR_PAX flag present, the system will listen to the
59 > PT_PAX flag. Can I influence this behavior to rather use the mentioned
60 > XATTR_PAX default and don't pay attention to the PT_PAX flag?
61 >
62 > Thanks:
63 > Dw.
66 If you have PAX_PT_PAX_FLAGS off and PAX_XATTR_PAX_FLAGS on it will only
67 listen to the XATTR_PAX flags.
71 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
72 Chair of Information Technology
73 D'Youville College