From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] RFC: Removing -unicode from all hardened profiles
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 12:02:18
1 On 04/21/2012 07:05 AM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > I'd like to remove USE="-unicode" from make.defaults at the root level
5 > of all hardened profiles. The request came from jmbsvicetto because he
6 > required it for the hardened stages to build, but to be honest, I don't
7 > know why we have it disabled in hardened and its probably leftover cruft
8 > from days gone by.
9 >
10 > Any reason not to, else its gone.
14 Okay, I will remove it in a minute. Answering some points:
15
16 1) Not a news item. News items IMHO are for things that require
17 significant user intervention, eg. when I changed up the entire profile
18 structure and the user had to eselect profile.
19
20 2) I'm only changing the default, so for those who still want unicode
21 off, you can still do USE=-unicode in you make.conf
22
23 3) I agree that hardened should be mostly off by default. Eg. ipv6 is
24 off by default. But as pressure mounts the switch to on by default may
25 have to occur as it has now with unicode and will happen some day with ipv6.
29 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
30 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
31 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
32 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
33 GnuPG ID : D0455535