From: "Javier J. Martínez Cabezón" <tazok.id0@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Joanna Rutkowska's Qubes on Gentoo Hardened?
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:51:22
1 I didn't implement it but i would like to say something about this
2 interesting question.
3
4 Until my knowledge qubes only gets you isolation and nothing more. It
5 creates "domains" (that is nothing more than a named xen guest VM to
6 one special use like "shopping virtual machine"). It does not make
7 nothing new at the moment.
8
9 In my opinion it gives only a high overhead to the system since each
10 VM gets (if I'm not wrong) 400 Mb of RAM.
11
12 The same isolation you get without this overhead using grsecurity's
13 chroot, rsbac_jail etc and if you want to sleep better in the night
14 you have to only create one separate user like a shopping user
15 isolating it with MAC.
16
17 Second, I would like to know how does make the communication between
18 the guest VM application and the host system, I suppose that with
19 xnest or displaying in the required IP, I don't know. Xorg is a high
20 risky software when using in a network environment approach. So
21 isolation could be broken from here.
22
23 Hardened gentoo (I believe) supports VM's like Virtual Box, User Mode
24 Linux, Xen and a lot of more you could try to install them and make a
25 installation in one of them (I make use of VM's to virtual servers).
26 This is what qubes do.