From: Miguel Figueiredo Mascarenhas Sousa Filipe <miguel.filipe@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Reducing the number of setuids, root user daemons..et al
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 10:37:43
1 Hi again,
2
3 On 10/8/06, Daniel Black <dragonheart@g.o> wrote:
4 > On Friday 06 October 2006 01:07, Miguel Figueiredo Mascarenhas Sousa Filipe
5 > wrote:
6 > > Hi all,
7 > >
8 > > What do you guys think of:
9 > >
10 > > - reduce the number of setuid to the maximum
11 > > - reduce the number of daemons running has root.
12 >
13 > Sounds good.
14
15 Okay, in that case I will now work a bit on my suggestions and then I will
16 post a reply detailing:
17 - purpose
18 - targeted aplications (bugs will be opened)
19 - sysklogd
20 - dhcp3 (dhclient and dhcpd)
21 - vixie-cron
22 - the apps that are setuids because of /etc/shadow.. (I'll have to
23 dig more on this)
24 - (not shure, some nfs/rcp apps)
25 - modifications needed
26 - their impact in increasing security, by reducing the number of
27 setuids or root running daemons.
28 - their impact on aplication maintenance, system maintenance/administration.
31 > > has example, openbsd and openwall (among others) both try to have sane
32 > > setuids and setguids for things like:
33 > > - cron/at service
34 > > - syslog and klogd
35 > > - passwd (on openwall, not shure about openbsd)
36 > > and much more..
37 > >
38 > > those are the things I miss most, a sane default filesystem system
39 > > permissions and a lot of services that can be running without root
40 > > privileges..
41 > >
42 > > One interesting Idea would be to use the /etc/shadow replacement that
43 > > is present in openwall
44 >
45 > Not something I've looked at. Could you describe this a bit more?
46
47 I will, in the meantime, let me just point out to the "homepage" of
48 the "project":
49 http://www.openwall.com/tcb/
50 slide show info starting here:
51 http://www.openwall.com/presentations/Owl/mgp00020.html
54 > > anyone knows if any of these things/ideas is being followed, if so,
55 > > were can I find pointers to it?
56 >
57 > for the suid/daemons its generally up to each package maintainer.
58 >
59 > What I'd suggest is to put in a bug report on how to make each package not
60 > suid or root daemon.
61
62 I will open bugs to the "affected" aplications, and submit patches
63 there, if needed.
66 > Also look for a place in the gentoo documentation to put these desireable
67 > qualities and put some suggested text.
68
69 Okay.
72 Much of the focus will be in complementing gentoo-hardened with the
73 hardening of specific frequently used subsystems (cron , sysloging,
74 shadow related apps/setuids, dhcp ).
75 By providing ways to remove their dependency in the root user for
76 their correct operation.
77 It is a bit "gentoo-hardened" oriented, because mantaining "hardened"
78 patches for some aplications might be something their mantainers are
79 unwilling to do.
80 So, this will also serve to assess the interest of the gentoo-hardened
81 comunity in this proposals.
84 Best regards,
87 Miguel Sousa Filipe
88 --