From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] RIP hardened-sources
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2017 13:12:40
1 Hi!
2
3 On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 01:49:20PM +0200, Luis Ressel wrote:
4 > in case anyone hasn't read in on LWN yet, here's what I'm talking
5 > about: https://grsecurity.net/passing_the_baton.php
6
7 Sorry for OT, but is this legal? Or, more correct, is this will works?
8
9 Sure, they can sell their patch to Linux kernel without opensourcing that
10 patch. But at soon as their customers (say, some government org or large
11 company) will APPLY that patch to Linux kernel and try to DISTRIBUTE that
12 kernel on their computers - they will have to distribute patched source
13 too (so it'll became available to users of these computers), and that
14 patched source will have GPL2 license… so any of these users/employees may
15 publish these sources, and org/company can't prohibit this without
16 violating GPL2… correct?
17
18 Or this will be sort of "sure, you may publish these sources, but then we
19 may fire you - everyone has rights, right to publish any GPL2 sources he
20 has access to and right to fire any employee for no specific reason"?
23 WBR, Alex.