From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux policy module packages
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 20:05:16
1 On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 01:43:40PM -0600, Chris Richards wrote:
2 > TBH, I really see nothing wrong with the naming convention we are using
3 > now, which (AFAIK) pretty much follows the upstream module naming
4 > convention (which I think is what you are proposing).
5
6 Indeed; however I couldn't find a post or something that reflects that we
7 are indeed trying to following the upstream module naming. For instance, the
8 packages selinux-acpi (mod=apm), selinux-courier-imap (mod=courier),
9 selinux-cyrus-sasl (mod=sasl), selinux-desktop (various mods), selinux-ftpd
10 (mod=ftp), selinux-gnupg (mod=gpg) and more all don't follow this logic,
11 even though I see no reason why they don't (except for the selinux-desktop
12 one).
13
14 It looked/looks like those packages rather follow the Gentoo package names
15 instead of the SELinux module.
16
17 > I also am not following the argument about 'make duplicate packages'?
18 > If a policy module ebuild can work for multiple different packages, that
19 > is fine. We simply have an optional selinux dependency in each of the
20 > application ebuilds on that same selinux module. If the module is
21 > already installed then the dependency is already satisfied. If not,
22 > then we pull it in. Or am I missing something?
23
24 Actually, the argument is only valid if we would require our policy packages
25 to be named after the package. If we follow the reference policy module
26 names, the argument is void.
27
28 > As blueness has pointed out, renaming a bunch of packages is a PITA. I
29 > really don't see that we get anything from doing so at this point,
30 > except a bunch of pain.
31
32 Actually, I'm rather hoping that if everyone agrees on the guideline that
33 SELinux policy packages are called "selinux-<modname>" with <modname> being
34 the policy name used by the reference policy, that we can use that as well
35 in the Gentoo Hardened SELinux Policy document [1].
36
37 By doing so, future developers immediately know how Gentoo Hardened works
38 (it is documented, so they don't need to start pondering how to call the
39 policy package for module "foo").
40
41 Wkr,
42 Sven Vermeulen