From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] hardened-sources wrt CVE-2014-3153 and CVE-2014-0196
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2014 13:06:17
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 This is one of those rare situations where there are enough serious bugs
4 against the kernel that we may have to rapid stabilize
5 hardened-sources-3.2.59-r5 and 3.14.5-r2. These are currently marked ~
6 because I need feedback from users. So please try to upgrade to either
7 one (3.2 is preferred for mission critical) and give me feedback. The
8 only caution is do not enable KSTACKOVERFLOW, a new option which is know
9 to cause panics, eg virtio iface.
10
11 Within the next few days I will mark those stable if they pass. And a
12 few days later I will start to prune the older stables that are
13 susceptible to 3153.
14
15 A note to what ~ means. ~ does not mean "unstable". I know that we say
16 a package on an arch is "stable" when we remove the ~, but adding the ~
17 doesn't make it "unstable". It means its of an unknown state. So
18 please read ~ as "test me!" The kernel is unlike most packages in that
19 it is vast and at any given time has dozens of bugs or other problems.
20 You'll never have a prefect kernel, only one that is "good enough". I
21 will only know its "good enough" if you don't complain. And you
22 complain via bugs so that when my spider senses suggest its time for a
23 new kernel, i look through the bugs and see which one is "good enough".
26 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
27 Chair of Information Technology
28 D'Youville College
29 Buffalo, NY 14201