From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] ACL implementations
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 07:52:09
1 While we are pretty much set to use selinux for our MAC implementation we
2 still need a lighter weight, less intrusive ACL implementation.
3
4 natey has worked on systrace some, and we have a couple guys interested
5 in grsecurity.
6
7 The problem is that we have limited resources and should really focus on having
8 1 really good ACL implementation (by this i mean concentrating on writing policies,
9 maintaining, documenting and recommending a particular implementation.) this does
10 _not_ prohibit any number of acl systems being available in portage, but resources
11 mandate that we persue only one as a full blown subproject. The question is
12 which one. i was somewhat excited about systrace due to it's usability before i found
13 out that it is not possible to apply system wide acl's with it. grsecurity can do this
14 but isn't nearly as easy. are there others? does anyone have experience with
15 any particular implementation, and have opinions on how easy to use, effective
16 and stable please share that information.
17
18 note: please, please, for the sake of all the people on this list don't reply
19 if you don't have experience with acl implementations or just want to
20 hear yourself talk, it doesn't help anything. Thanks everyone
21
22 Cheers
23
24 Joshua Brindle