From: Aaron Held <aaron@×××××××.com>
To: Jerome Brown <jerome@××××××.nz>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] My Thoughts
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 04:51:02
1 Jerome Brown wrote:
2
3 >A few thoughts from my point of view...
4 >
5 >Is there a ground of support for some of the security options that have
6 >been circulated in the forums - e.g. having the ability to apply patches
7 >to software without having to upgrade to a newer version, and to do so
8 >with an 'emerge -u world' style command? This to me seems to be
11 something like emerge --security world that would just look for security
12 updates
13
14 >The other question that I had is, with regards to chroot()ing services,
15 >are there going to be separate 'hardened' ebuilds for these, or will
16 >they incorporate the chroot() option as a USE flag, and the ebuild puts
19 I think this is what we should standardize on. It will be harder, but
20 we have to assume that the original ebuild author knows the app the
21 best, but maybe not how to chroot it. Maybe we could be a resource to
22 help tighten existing ebuilds as we come across them.
23 ebuilds are far from generic anyway, and thier advantage is the ability
24 to customize the source and install based on the USE flags.
25
26 >Jerome Brown
27 >
28 -Aaron