From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Weird coincidental PAX crashes
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 15:22:24
1 On 05/15/2014 09:48 AM, PaX Team wrote:
2 >
3 > unfortunately the backtrace is not usable as is due to lack of symbols.
4 > if you still have the original vmlinux around (or can reproduce it with
5 > all the debug symbols) then i can take a look and perhaps figure out
6 > where the refcount overflow was detected (and whether it was a false
7 > positive or not).
8 >
9 >> If it's not hardware (two different machines...), does this look like a
10 >> kernel bug? Should I upgrade over the weekend and pray?
11 >
12 > it's not a hardware issue (at least not directly) but a software one and
13 > regardless of it being perhaps a false positive you should be using a newer
14 > kernel that we support ;).
17 Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was a kernel issue at first (which is why I
18 posted here instead of filing a bug). But it took out a production
19 server in the middle of the day, and I was out of the office, so I had
20 to just shut-up-and-fix-it quickly.
21
22 I've since upgraded to a newer kernel and everything looks OK, but the
23 issue only showed up after around 5 months of uptime. If I go another 5
24 months without an upgrade or reboot, maybe I'll find out if the issue is
25 reproducible =)