From: Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <hvbruinehsen@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Remove toolchain?
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 13:02:38
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 I'm trusted with building a hardened server. I'm using Gentoo on my
4 desktops for years, so hardened Gentoo is an obvious choice for me.
5
6 But there is one thing which disturbs me: Since Gentoo (and hardened
7 Gentoo) is sourcebased, i'll need a complete toolchain to keep the
8 system up to date.
9
10 I don't like the idea of giving this tools to someone who might
11 compromise the server.
12
13 Is there a way to keep the toolchain on a thumbdrive or in an encrypted
14 partition, so that a possible attacker can't use it, while I have still
15 access to it? Does a how-to or a guide exist, which coud guide me
16 through the process of setting it up correctly?
17
18 A quick google-search turned up nothing, though it may be possible, that
19 I'm just using the wrong keywords.
20
21 Any help would be greatly appreciated!
22
23 Kind regards,
24
25 Hinnerk