From: Mansour Moufid <mansourmoufid@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Setting up a (more) secure notebook
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 16:14:35
1 On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 11:44 PM, <schism@×××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > That's a very interesting card, but for different reasons.  Since it's
3 > not integrated into the hardware of the system, it too is at the mercy
4 > of whatever the subverted kernel wants it to see.  Nothing short of a
5 > hardware-integrated measurement from POST through kernel & initrd is
6 > going to guarantee (for some definition thereof) that there hasn't been
7 > some malicious modification of the process.
8
9 Yes, that's true. I just saw the flaw in this scheme. (An attacker
10 would simply replace gpg on the USB drive with one that has the
11 attacker's keys hard-coded, made to completely ignore the smart card,
12 and re-hash/sign everything...)
13
14 Google's new OS claims to prevent exactly this sort of attack by using
15 "custom" firmware to conduct regular checks:
16 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9WVmNfgjtQ#t=2m24s
17 Apparently, the key used to check the kernel for modification is kept
18 in "read-only" firmware, along with "verifier logic" (hash test
19 cases?). If they're successful, perhaps Gentoo Hardened could adopt
20 these methods.
21
22 Digressing... Given that we cannot ensure the integrity of our kernel,
23 presumably the attacker cannot ensure theirs either. Short of
24 preventing tampering, the next best thing would be to detect it, and
25 in some cases knowing that data was tampered with is potentially more
26 valuable than the data itself. For example, one could "bait" an "evil
27 maid" attack, and later study the modified kernel, to phone home with
28 a dupe payload, etc... Now that would make a good movie. ; )
31 Mansour Moufid