From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] GCC upgrading from 3.4.6-r2 to 4.3.4 dies
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 00:02:41
1 On 01/02/2010 14:46, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
2 > People,
3 > perhaps someone has an idea of why that happens (or what should I check):
4 >
5 > # emerge gcc
6 > throws out: "i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc: Internal error: Killed (program cc1)" (for a wider sample see the bottom of this mail)
7 >
8 > Looking through archives of this list [0], I understood, that, as per [1] I should start with a gcc upgrade... Also I wonder, if I did as per [2] and proceed with vanilla gcc as:
9 > # USE="-hardened" emerge --oneshot =sys-libs/glibc-2.5
10 > # USE="-hardened" emerge --oneshot =sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2
11 > isn't there a risk, that I've compiled a whole system for hardened glibc and recompiling and replacing it just crashes the whole thing?
14 No great insight here, but I would suggest quickly archiving the system
15 so that you can restore it if you break things further - also have a
16 qpkg of key things like python/gcc/glibc etc
17
18 I should think the suggestion of bootstrapping to a vanilla gcc first is
19 a good one and also it can help to gcc twice, once to upgrade and again
20 with the new compiler. Err, obviously make sure you switched your
21 environment to the new compiler correctly also...
22
23 I'm also fairly sure that you don't want prescott targetted for a via
24 Eden processor either? In fact quite possibly this is your issue since
25 the via is quite a cut down 686 and I think some are 586 targets?
26
27 Good luck
28
29 Ed W