From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] how to go about building a web stack?
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 11:22:36
1 i suppose you're not making much sense to most of us ;)
2
3 "Albretch Mueller" <lbrtchx@×××××.com> said:
4 > Starting from plain gentoo baseline and then "hardening" it or ...
5 > would it be better to start right from gentoo-hardened?
6
7 you are not very specific, so it is hard to help you out here. both ways
8 you describe should be possible, so it depends on your situation, you
9 requirements, the amount of time you need and can put into the effort
10 etc...
11
12 > ~
13 > I recently posted an article "Web app stack on top of hardened gentoo
14 > anyone?", but the feedback I got wasn't really so clarifying to me
15
16 great! what are your questions?
17
18 > ~
19 > I will basically need java, tomcat and some DB in it. So what would
20 > you suggest to me
21
22 as somebody in the original thread suggested: he is running glassfish and
23 postgres. i suppose, if java runs then tomcat shouldn't be a problem.
24 have you tried?
25
26 as for putting the stuff on to a CD: gentoo has great tools to help you
27 with that. but its really not hardened related - go take a peak at the
28 gentoo-server list. you may want to look at catalyst to build an hardened
29 webapp image that you can deploy on your servers directly. quickstart by
30 agaffney is of great help also...
31
32 hope that helps. if not, try to be more specific in your questions -
33 simply restating them is unlikely to make you more popular ;)
34
35 > ~
36 > thanks
37 > lbrtchx