From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] I have trouble installing
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:14:00
1 linux42@××××××××.hu wrote:
2 > Hi list!
3 >
4 > I would like to switch to hardened gentoo from Adamantix. I need a linux
5 > that has PaX, SSP and RSBAC at least. And support, QA. That's what is
6 > missing from Adamantix.
7 >
8 > So this is the first time I try to install gentoo, by the book, and it
9 > fails. Since I have no experience with gentoo I write here what I did,
10 > so you can tell me if I have missed a step, or made some other mistake.
11 >
12 > I am sorry, but it is a little bit long.
13 >
14 > Booted from CD, have net, partitioned, formatted, mounted, downloaded
15 > stage3-i686-2006.1.tar.bz2
16
17 There's one piece of information missing from the online
18 hardened install guide, regarding the state of hardened
19 support. Right now, there's no hardened support for the
20 latest gcc or glibc, which are the ones installed by the
21 2006.1 stage3. For the time being, you need to start with
22 the 2006.0 stages.
23
24 (The problem is that the hardened profiles have maximum
25 versions for gcc/glibc specified, which are lower than what
26 is installed by default, so emerge thinks you are trying to
27 downgrade.)
28
29 As far as GCC goes, Gentoo installs multiple copies of GCC
30 side-by-side. You can use the script `gcc-config` to switch
31 between them once you have the correct versions installed.
32 With a hardened profile you should have at least 3 different
33 variants of GCC to pick from.
42 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list